Friday 6 April 2012

Utrasonic cleaning of silver necklaces and bracelets

I’ve been looking for a way to clean my charm bracelet and I have finally found what I think is the perfect solution. Getting into all the crevices using a soft tooth brush and warm soapy water did a reasonable job on my gold bracelet, but it was fiddly and took quite some time to do a good job. A friend has an ultrasonic cleaner, for her jewellery and raved about how well it worked. I bit the bullet and found a small one on ebay for about $50 so I ordered it last week. It is simple to use, all I had to do was fill it up with very warm water and a drop of mild detergent and push the button. It runs for 3 minutes and you can see it bubbling away as it shakes of the dirt. My charms and the bracelet chain came out shiny clean and I was surprised at how the colour of the water had changed. A quick rinse under running water removes the soap film and when they were dry my charms were really clean and shone beautifully. I must admit I got a bit carried away and went through my jewellery box and ran all my silver necklaces and bracelets through the cleaner too. It did a great job on them, so out came the watch (it is waterproof) and it got in between the links and heaps of dirt and muck was left behind in the water. I’m glad I did a bit of research, because there are some types of jewellery that shouldn’t be put in an ultrasonic machine such as pearls and opals. So, if you have solid metal jewellery, a great way to quickly and easily clean of the dirt and grime isn’t very expensive to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments will be manually reviewed before publishing